[IPk] Insulin Pumps Scotland

I think the stats are dire, and I would agree that lack of knowledge is one
of the problems. I have lobbied my own MSP (who also has Type 1) and he
supported the Scottish Parliament motion. At the clinic I now attend there
are, I think, around 20 pumpers some of them having been pumping for a
while. Glasgow is the biggest City in Scotland and Greater Glasgow and Clyde
Health Board services a huge area (population must be close to 1 million -
Glasgow alone has a population of 578,000) so the number of pumpers is a
minutes proportion of the Type 1 diabetes population.  My problem is the
pain we have to go through to get a pump and I have also raised this with my
MSP as unacceptable. My DSN, for all her fault, it very, very committed to
pumping and we really need more people who think that way. My last DSN
suggested in an off the cuff remark that "maybe you need a pump" and then
told me not to tell the consultant she had suggested it. I then had to take
things forward myself. This suggests that in order to reduce demand,
patients are being kept in the dark.

Mary Moody