[IPk] protein in urine

hi
i'm wondering if anyone can help...
 i went to the gp's on tues with what i thought might be a uti as i had a
backache, so took a urine
 sample (first of day) he put a dipstick in it and said that nothing came up
except trace/low
 protein. he didn't seem too alarmed and sent the sample off for bacterial
analysis, at this point he
 said he didn't think i had an infection as there were no other signs to suggest
it. I rang the gp to
 get the result today and it is clear with no bacteria there so i know i haven't
got a uti. I was
 starting to get concerned about the protein in the urine though so phoned my
diabetic nurse today to
 ask her when my last tests were done etc...she said i had a blood renal
function in july 07 and it
 was fine and that my urine had a microalbumin test in Feb 07 and it was 0.9
(she said it should be
 under 3.5). She said i was overdue for a microalbumin test now so is sending me
a slip to get one
 done at the dr's, however, i am sick with worry tonight as i've read that for
protein to show on a
 dipstick it has to be pretty bad already!!! Does anyone have any info on
progression of kidney
disease etc...would it be possible for it to have gotten quite bad in a year...
any info would be appreciated..
sara davies
IDDM  13 years / pumping 2 years