Re: [IPk] Re: Ketones/ bleeding

Nanette,

I had four sets on the trot from the same box all causing bleeding, after
months of plain sailing; so replacement sets are en route from Medtronic to
be on the safe side.  Given the level of ketones the pen was the safest
option in case the next insert developed similar problems.  I checked BM
every 45 to 60 minutes all evening, and the blood ketones had gone within an
hour, which is very reassuring.  Like you, I've only reverted to a pen on a
very small number of occasions.

I did feel very strange when I went home but put that down to just having
been told about two sudden and unexpected deaths.  My hyper awareness is not
as sharp as my hypo awareness which kicks in around the 4 mark.  The
difficulty for me is sharp post meal rises, so even though my BM is not high
for long, it does go to 15 on a regular basis.  Don't get me started on my
symlin rant again :D   Once again, post meal rises will be my complaint at
the clinic.  I over basal/ under bolus for breakfast which seems to keep me
flatter.  I think I'm going to have to do the same in the evening which is
when most days I hit 15 plus.  But then I have to be careful.  I can get
away with that in the morning because breakfast is reasonably constant, and
already if I am late for dinner, I will hypo.  It's a tricky one.  My last
Hb was 6.7, so I know I'm close at least.  I'll ask for a CGMS review.

Anyhow, lesson learned.  When feeling odd, always check BM, even if there
appears to be another obvious cause.

Best wishes,
Marc