[IPk] Re: Ketones/ bleeding

Marc,
this is very much a YMMV thing as far as solutions go.
I personally haven't given myself insulin by injection since starting
pumping 10 and a half years ago. I have always found it possible to use the
pump to give more insulin. I can probably count on my fingers (I only have
the usual number!!) the number of truly failed sets in that time. I find
that almost always the reason for high BG is peculiar metabolic things or
reactions to food or stress due to travel or excitement or minor subclinical
infections or anything but the set, and it passes without changing the set,
though on occasion very persistent chasing of the high BG with frequent
measurement is required.
Don't forget that once you get above the threshold for excretion of glucose
in urine, your BG measurement is really an underestimate of the effective
true level, and so you may need to take more insulin than the pump will
calculate in order to bring BG down to normal levels.
One thing puzzles me about your story - even had you stayed at work,
wouldn't you have been aware that BG was sky high and tested, and if
necessary changed the set there. While hypo awareness is of course a major
safety issue for driving etc, cultivating an awareness of hyperglycaemia is
also important.
Nanette