Re: [IPk] Advice / Help needed

 your carb ratio can change during the day, i used to be on 1:10 all day except
midday when i was on 1:5 so its worth considering that. Also i don't know
whether you take into account GI but tnhat could effect it. i find that some
foods last less time than others resulting in off results so if you have fatty
foods then you possibly need to use an extended bolus so you get the insulin
spread out, also means if you head down you can just cancel it.
  Sammy

BETHAN JONES <email @ redacted> wrote:
  Please support Insulin Pumpers by making a donation to the
Please visit:

Firstly, apologise for
the long thread.

Ibve been on pump for
3 months and my BGs are still unstable. I was put on pump because I was
having a lot of hypos, 13 in 1 week is
my record!

Ibm using the
Accu-check Spirit and Novorapid insulin. Ibm still having hypos which are
really getting me down, especially when
I have hypos at work. Ibm on a rate of
0.4 units per hour with exception to my early mornings as shown below.

Ibve tested 2 basal
rates, overnight and morning to midday. Started a basal test 11 a.m. to 6
p.m. yesterday but had to abandon
because I had a hypo at 2 p.m. Here are
my readings:

Overnight
Time 22:00 23:00 24:00 01:00 02:00 03:00 04:00
05:00 06:00 07:00 08.00
Units/hour 0.4 0.4 0.4 0.4 0.4 0.4
0.4 0.8 0.8 0.4 0.4
BG 5.3 6.3 7.9
10.0 10.3 9.3
F A S T
I N G

07.00 b Midday
06:00 07:00 08:00 09:00 10:00 11:00 12:00
13:00 14:00
0.4 0.4 0.4 0.4
0.4 0.4 0.4 0.4
8.8 9.8
8.8 8.5
F A S T
I N G

Ibve increased my
insulin 3 b 5 a.m. to 0.5. Should I
increase my 24:00 b 3 a.m. to 0.5 also, as my BGs in the morning are a bit
high. At the moment theybre around 7.8.

My insulin to carb
ratio is 1:10. I count carbs religiously
but still get it wrong. Does your carb
ratio change during the day? For example
if I eat Uncle Bens wholemeal rice for eveing meal and the carb content for a
packet would be
e.g. 72.8, I would require 7.2 units of insulin, but if I took this amount I
would get a hypo
so I take 1 to 2 units off this amount. This is the same when I carb count
for oven chips it always seems a lot on insulin to take for the amount of
chips there is so I tend to take a few units off here as well.
This morning BG of 7.9 at 8 a.m. so took my usual amount of insulin, hypo at
10:20 a.m.. On other days my readings have been OK 2 hours after breakfast,
and sometimes they go high to 10+, and I have the same thing to eat for
breakfast each day. Confusing to say the least!
I really want the pump
to work for me but I feel that Ibm putting all the effort in as I did when
on
MDI, and getting nowhere. I definitely
wouldnbt want to go back to MDI because the pump is great in every other
way. My energy levels are better and I
feel a lot better in myself and of course the convenience of not having to
inject
4/5 times a day. Hypos are the only
thing that I want to sort out and donbt know what Ibm doing wrong.

Ibve got an
appointment with the Diabetic consultant on the 4/6/08 and Ibm sure he
wonbt be
much help. Would it be worth me asking for a loan of a CGM?

Can anyone advise on
where Ibm going wrong and what can I do to stop having these nasty hypos.

Best wishes.
Beth.