RE: [IPk] thyroid problems

Hi Karen
Couple of quick questions if you dont mind... Ive taken Thyroxine for a
underactive thyroid for many years now but recently my levels have been all
over the place. I note you say never take it at night and to get the same
brand. I always take mine last thing before bed and I notice the brand is
often different as its whatever is the cheapest for the pharmatist to buy-in.
Im due back at the GP on Wednesday to increase my medication and was hoping
you could tell me why you dont recommend either of these things as I know my
GP will pooh-pooh anything I say!
Thanks,
Hilly> Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 00:35:37 +0100> From: email @ redacted> To:
email @ redacted> Subject: [IPk] thyroid problems> > Please support
Insulin Pumpers by making a donation to the> SPRING pledge drive. Your
contribution is essential to help> us continue to provide service to the
diabetes community.> Please visit:> >
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml> > Your annual contribution will
eliminate this header from your IP mail> > Normal ranges... yes the lower end
range for T4 has been increased so a now> a reading of 11 would be considered
as underactive thryoid when a year or 2> back it would be normal. Some doctors
don't use/know about the new ranges. I> think its the same in the States for
most tests, but not all. Please be> aware that T4 measurement is not the same
as FreeT4 so different results are> interpreted differently.> > > > Test>
Abbreviation Typical Ranges Serum thyroxine T4 4.6-12 ug/dl Free> thyroxine
fraction FT4F 0.03-0.005% Free Thyroxine FT4 0.7-1.9 ng/dl Thyroid> hormone
binding ratio THBR 0.9-1.1 Free Thyroxine index FT4I 4-11 Serum>
Triiodothyronine T3 80-180 ng/dl Free Triiodothyronine l FT3 230-619 pg/d
Free> T3 Index FT3I 80-180 Radioactive iodine uptake RAIU 10-30% Serum>
thyrotropin TSH 0.5-6 uU/ml Thyroxine-binding globulin TBG 12-20 ug/dl T4>
+1.8 ugm TRH stimulation test Peak TSH 9-30 uIU/ml at 20-30 min Serum>
thyroglobulin l Tg 0-30 ng/m Thyroid microsomal antibody titer TMAb Varies>
with method Thyroglobulin antibody titer TgAb Varies with method> The
following website gives good information about all the tests and what> they
mean. Note that very low TSH can aos indicate pituatory problems as> well.> >
http://www.endocrineweb.com/tests.html> > > I can't understand many people
posting that they hope to get off thyroxine> soon.. just like insulin, another
hormone, this is needed for life.. get> over it! They are tiny tablets, best
taken early morning 10-15 minutes> before other meds or food (never at night)
and my 11 year old has no problem> swallowing them.. oh that diabetes would be
as easy to control as thyroid> problems. It may take a while to get thryoxine
doses optimised and yes when> not, they will have a direct effect on BGs, but
once on the right dose you> should feel and be far healthier.> > Always stick
to the same brand and never break tablets in half as this is> highly
inaccurate. Thryoxine comes in 25mcg, 50mcg and 100mcg, so all> combinations
can be achieved.> > Fluctuations, just like glucose control are normal and to
be expected. When> TSH results rise, this is normally an indication of need
for greater doses> of thyroxine, regardless of T4 results. 80% of T4 is
converted from T3 and> T3 produced by the thyroid. If TSH levels are raised it
means the thyroid is> working harder and less efficiently to produce the
required amount of T3.> > Hope that helps> > > Karen Persov> .>