RE: [IPk] Hello

Hi Jackie

Another Jackie here.   I haven't experience this with our daughter, but quite a
number of parents who are subscribed to the UK Children with Diabetes Parents
mailing list have described similar things and what they have done about the
problem.  There are about 55 parents of pumpers using that UK support list.
Possibly more.  Many of the parents are also subscribed to this support list
too, as I am.  However a lot more parent/child info is swapped on the UK CWD
list so you may do well to sigh up for that list as well.

YOu can find information about the UK CWD mailing list here under Email and
mailing lists
http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/uk/

If you have problems signing up let me know.

 I am sure that there will be someone on here anyway who would have experience
of
 this type and could advise you about things you can spray on the skin before
the
site insertion or film laid between the skin and the set itself.

 Jackie Jacombs, mum of Sasha aged 14, diagnosed with diabetes in 1999 at the
age
of 4 years.

> Hello June and everyone, This looks like a great site - just the sort of
> support I've been looking for, so thanks June for recommending it!  I
> have to admit I am not as web-literate as I should be, and I am feeling
> my way with the browser version, having got my e-mail swamped with
> messages initially!  I haven't a clue about my e-mail server so I hope
> this message finds its way! I THINK I have also joined the Parents of
> Pumpers section, so I will also try and access that discussion group too
> if I can! I was hoping someone on here might be able to advise me - my 7
> year old son has been using his insulin pump (Medtronic paradigm) for
> about 5 weeks, he uses a quick-set infusion set sited on his bottom (only
> viable place as he hasn't got a scrap of fat anywhere).  Each time we
> change the set he has a ring of swollen skin corresponding to the inner
> ring of the plastic disc that the cannula passes through (it isn't the
> actual puncture site that is swollen).  We haven't been too concerned
> until the other day when it was actually a ring of blisters (fluid
> filled).  We did get it looked at to check it wasn't infected, and it
> doesn't seem to be an allergic reaction, but our PDSN with experience of
> pumps is currently on holiday so we are mystified.  Has anyone else
> experienced this?  We are wondering if it could be pressure when he is
> lying in bed at night (it is not positioned low enough for him to be
> sitting on it during the day).  Any ideas would be much appreciated!
> Thanks, Jackie.
> .

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080521-0, 21/05/2008
Tested on: 22/05/2008 09:46:52