RE: [IPk] Consultant Appointment

Hi Sue

Just jumping in here in case Julia is not about.  Julia's children Ellie and
Tate were born with a condition called Congenital Hyperinsulinism

http://www.endocrinology.org/sfe/endocrinologist/end08111.pdf

We have another parent on the UK CWD with the same condition who now has an
insulin pump.

How are you doing at the moment Sue.  Is the job going ok?

Jackie

> Hi Julia,
>
> I was interested to see that 2 of your children have had most of their
> pancreas removed. I had my pancreatectomy in August, 2000.
>
> I only know 1 other person who has had this operation done.
>
> Do you mind me asking the reason that your children had to have this
>  surgery? I had gall stones, and had my gall bladder removed. I continued to
> have
> attacks   of pancreatitis, and was eventually diagnosed with chronic
>  pancreatitis. I had frequent hospital admissions, so i took the decision to
> have the
> surgery. I have been so much better since the surgery.
>
> I have been on the Medtronic 512 pump since February 2006. I  had fight to
> get my pump. My consultant has been excellent, but was a  little anxious at
> first as he had never put a patient on a pump before, who was  minus their
> pancreas. It is working out well.
>
> Also, as well as having had my pancreas removed, i am a children's nurse.
> Currently i work on the children's assessment unit and short stay ward.
>
> I hope you manage to get pumps for Ellie and Tate. Please keep us  informed.
>
> Sue
> .

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080521-0, 21/05/2008
Tested on: 21/05/2008 23:12:52