[IPk] Consultant Appointment

Hi Julia,

I was interested to see that 2 of your children have had most of their
pancreas removed. I had my pancreatectomy in August, 2000.

I only know 1 other person who has had this operation done.

Do you mind me asking the reason that your children had to have this
 surgery? I had gall stones, and had my gall bladder removed. I continued to
have
attacks   of pancreatitis, and was eventually diagnosed with chronic
 pancreatitis. I had frequent hospital admissions, so i took the decision to
have the
surgery. I have been so much better since the surgery.

I have been on the Medtronic 512 pump since February 2006. I  had fight to
get my pump. My consultant has been excellent, but was a  little anxious at
first as he had never put a patient on a pump before, who was  minus their
pancreas. It is working out well.

Also, as well as having had my pancreas removed, i am a children's nurse.
Currently i work on the children's assessment unit and short stay ward.

I hope you manage to get pumps for Ellie and Tate. Please keep us  informed.

Sue