RE: [IPk] Talk to parents about pumping

Hi Angie

 Is there anyway you could do a short PowerPoint presentation? If not, I am sure
that you can find some help looking at other presentations

Here's a basic one

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/presentations/cwdInsulinPumps200405_files/fr
ame.htm

You could quote some of the parents from the list about what a huge difference
it made to their children's lives.

Also look at some of these presentations to glean some more ideas.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/presentations/

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/pumps/index.htm

Good luck

If you want me to send you a word doc for hand outs about the UK CWD I can.

Also if you take the names and addresses of any parents interested in pumps you
can forward them to John Davis who will get the pump companies to send them
information.

Jackie

> Hi all
>
> I have been asked by my hospital (West Suffolk at Bury St Edmunds) to do a
> short talk for parents of children with diabetes (at the bimonthly support
> group)entitled 'A parents perspective of having a child on an insulin pump'.
> The interesting thing is that Alice is currently only one of two paediatric
> pumpers, and they are keen to encourage more parents to opt for pumping, but
> they can't get anyone interested !!??!!
>
> They have asked therefore that it be positive (to encourage new pumpers) but
> realistic about the amount of work/commitment it involves.
>
> I have done graphs showing bg's before and after (same week, year apart)
> HBA1c changes
> Show people the pump/tubing/cannula itself
> Include a (more than passing) mention of CWD (small handout available)
> Number of blood tests
> The improvement on mood, energy etc
> Flexibility with food and activity - time and type
> The throw it out the window at 2/3 week phenomenon
>
> What else should I be including??
>
> suggestions gratefully received....
> Angie
> Mum to Alice 5, pumping 12/07
> .

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080516-2, 16/05/2008
Tested on: 17/05/2008 13:52:54