Re: [IPk] Type 2 and obesity

Hi Melissa,

Yes, I'd forgotten that obesity causes insulin resistance.  But as one
of your references noted

"T2DM is a complex metabolic disorder characterized by decreased
pancreatic insulin secretion and decreased insulin action, or insulin
resistance, at the target tissues."

In other words, not all fat people get type 2, and, as it goes on to
note, you can become type 2 with insulin resistance from 'genetic' as
well as 'acquired' insulin resistance.

So no one should be blamed because they are both overweight and
diabetic: they might have become insulin resistant for other reasons.
No one is 'guilty' of being overweight, anyway - as you say, poverty
plays a part, as do other things  (oh dear, I read Fat is a Feminist
Issue at an impressonable age!).

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 2+,  trying to remember the three middle C's on the chain
between Chance and Causation)
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)