[IPk] Carpal tunnel

Hi Dave,

Was your hand surgery for carpal tunnel? I had surgery for carpal tunnel on
my right hand four years ago, when the CTS had been diagnosed as already at
the 'moderate' stage. At the same time, my left hand was diagnosed with
'mild' CTS. I know from the symptoms (worse in the past few months, despite
the fact I've slept with a brace on my left hand nearly every night since
diagnosis) that I am facing having my other hand operated on. I have an
appointment at the Nuffield for 28 July--here's hoping they'll be willing to
schedule the surgery based on it alone. I plan to have my diagnosis
paperwork from Virginia sent to the hospital in advance of my visit. We know
that in people with diabetes CTS rarely gets any better but can get pretty
bad indeed; I see no reason to bother with cortisone injections that will
mess with my bgs if surgery will actually correct the problem at hand (as it
were...). As I've already been diagnosed and the symptoms are classical, I
don't see the point in wondering if that's the problem or putting off
treating it.

About the actual surgery: I was awake, with a local block anaesthetic having
been done from (I think) my shoulder down. A curtain was put up beside me so
that I could not see what the surgeon was doing. I know that the surgery
took 7 minutes from the first incision to the first stitch. I was told that
I'd be writing with a pen as usual within 12 days, but it actually took
longer for the discomfort to go away. I had no problems with healing,
really, but found it uncomfortable to do a push-up for about a year. Can
anyone advise me on the sort of surgery being used for carpal tunnel in the
UK at present? Does that procedure/advice sound familiar?

Hope you're back to typing with ten fingers soon, Dave!