Re: [IPk] Check out BBC NEWS | Health | Diabetes 'may run in the family'

Hi Helen,

I think you are right to be disturbed by the tone of this article.

What 'changes in advice' might there be - women with type 1 diabetes who
are planning pregnancy, or accidentally pregnant are never advised to do
anything other than maintain the tightest possible control.  So 'will
reinforce the medical advice' is as strong as it can be put.

I was equally disturbed to read
"However, there are clear risk factors for type two diabetes, including
physical inactivity and obesity.

But this latest study, published in the medical journal The Lancet,
suggests that for some people the cause may lie elsewhere. "

As far as I know, physical inactivity and / or obesity are not indicated
as _causes_ of type 2 diabetes.  All that can be said is that in a
statistically significant number of cases, obesity and type 2 diabetes
occur together, and inactivity and type 2 occur together.  As, indeed,
inactivity and obesity occur together.

The whole tone of this article is 'well, maybe some type 2s aren't to
blame for their disability'.  I have news for the BBC: none of them are.
Some may have been told 'unless you loose weight, you'll end up
diabetic', but I don't know of any proof that _had_ they lost weight,
they would have avoided diabetes.

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 2+
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)