Re: [IPk] Update Re: Funding

>  I have been having a lot of problems re funding. However, my MP
>  after receiving
> the following letter from Cornwall PCT she has decided to take the
> matter up with the Minister and she now seems confident of a
> satisfactory outcome:
> Dear Ms Atherton
>  You wrote to me on 30 April 2003 with regard to a constituent who
>  relies on an
> Insulin Pump.
>  We are aware that guidance was issued by the National Institute for
>  Clinical
> Excellence (NICE) in February 2003 in relation to the use of
> continuous Subcutaneous infusions. The Gguidance stated that insulin
> pump therapy is an option for people with type 1 diabetes, provided
> that multiple dose insulin therapy has failed and those receiving
> insulin pump therapy have the committment and competence to use the
> therapy effectively. Unfortunately, we have not been able to
> identify resources in the current financial year either for the
> capital cost of the purchase of the pumps or for the ongoing running
> costs, however, we are keeping this situation under review.
> I'm sorry I cannot be more helpful
> Lyn Manuell
> Chief Executive

Perhaps Lyn Manuell should take another look at the budget problem in
light of this study (old by the way). Putting all their Type 1's on
pumps could conceivably free up much needed resources for other
patients that have greater medical needs :-)

During 1 year of CSII, hospital days decreased from 21 to 5 per
patient and medical costs due to diabetes (including pump initiation)
decreased from $29330 to $12762 per patient.

d&list_uids=7555602&do pt=Abstract