Re: [IPk] Which finger pricking devices?

Hi Carmel,

First, I'm glad to hear that you are making such strides in your recovery.
May things continue to progress well.

I have been very happy with the Becton-Dickinson (BD) brand Lancet Device
(they could have come up with a nicer name, huh?) that has a dial on it for
depth control. I found that the Penlet Ultra tended not to hold the depth
setting I wanted and slipped from 3 (my normal depth) to 9 a few too many
times for my liking! OUCH. Also, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the
BD Lancet Device seems to be more sturdy and stable than the Penlet Ultra. I
am not sure how to describe the difference in words, but trust me, the BD
Lancet Device was well worth whatever I paid for it (I think it was GBP 12
at Boots. FYI, it had to be ordered for me and took a couple of days to come
in, but it was worth the wait). See
http://www.bddiabetes.com/us/product/lancet_device.jsp for picture and the
product description.

As for lancets: I swear by the BD Ultra-Fine II (30-gauge) lancets. They're
lovely! The quality control must be very strict--in the last few years, I
think I've had one that looked wonky. Back in the day when I used
store-brand, cheapo lancets, I actually kept a collection of the truly weird
and utterly unusable ones. As for the BD Ultra-Fine 33 lancets also on the
market, John Neale and I have concurred that if you've had type 1 for a
while, the 33-gauge lancet may be just a bit to fine and dainty to do the
job on calloused fingers. The Ultra-Fine II lancets are on-line at

Hope this info helps!

IDDM 10 years; MiniMed pumper 6+ years