Re: [IPk] Funding

I would suggest that the All Party Parliamentary Group for Diabetes be
challenged to put pressure on the Secretary of State for Health to extend
the statutory obligation to Scotland as well. The Minister for Health up
here was recently quoted as saying that he "expected" NHS organisations to
apply the recommendations of the Health Technology Board for Scotland (now
Quality Improvement (Scotland)).

Several Trusts have set up committees to review all the recommendations of
HTBS/QIS to decide whether or not each recommendation should be applied in
their Trust area and, if so, under what conditions.

Just in case someone tries to argue that Scotland is a different issue,  I
work in a Trust and can assure you that, while Scotland has its own Health
Minister under devolution, the intention of the NHS is that Health will be
dealt with consistently throughout the UK, hence HTBS/QIS concurring with
every NICE guideline made to date.

I would also suggest that the Group seek formal clarification from the
Secretary of Health regarding the terminology "...unless there are special
factors relating to particular appraisals which mean that full
implementation may take longer." I believe that many Trusts will use this as
a "get out" clause.

All the best,