Re: [IPk] Funding

I have had similar concerns that my own PCT may come up with a similar
response, given their current financial situation. However from the
discussions I have been having with them, either the PCT or the Secondary
Care Trust have to implement the NICE guidelines within the 3 month period
- that is a requirement.

 From the NIC web site www.nice.org.uk "Since January 2002, the NHS has
been obliged to provide funding and resources for medicines and treatments
recommended by NICE through its technology appraisals work programme. The
NHS normally has 3 months from the date of publication of each technology
appraisal guidance to provide funding and resources. Treatment will only be
provided if a doctor or nurse, after discussing the options with the
patient, thinks that this is the right choice for that patient.

Local NHS organisations are expected to meet the costs of medicines and
treatments recommended by NICE out of their general annual allocations.
There is no statutory
requirement to fund the other areas of NICE's work and the local NHS should
explain to patients and carers any decisions they have made."

Technology appraisals are defined as " medicines, medical devices,
diagnostic techniques, surgical procedures, health promotion activities"
and Insulin Pump therapy comes under Technology and should therefore be
implemented. The "Other areas of NICEs work" covers other aspects of the
NICE work where they provide guidance or recommendations.

Given the pressure on resources it may mean there might be a slight delay
whilst the Trusts put a policy into place but "Saying sometime in the
future a paper may be prepared to present to the executive committee for
investigation into the PCT's future policy." is NOT an appropriate response.

You can challenge their decision and I would suggest taking it up with the
Chair of the PCT

Kind regards

>I finally got an answer regarding the PCT policy on funding. Not the answer I
>wanted, but at least they kept me informed. The position of the PCT is
>this. "it
>is not possible to meet the thrsometime in the future a
>paper may be prepared to present to the executive commitee for investigation
>into the PCT's future policy.
>ee month deadline, but

Diabetes Insight
mailto:email @ redacted