From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf
Of Nanette Chana Freedman
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 11:48 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] Glycaemic Index - revisited

Whether it is the cereal (sounds somewhat unlikely if porridge is ok,
and an oat-based cereal - as many of them are - is not) or the milk, I
found that one way of improving the post-breakfast peak was to bolus
about 20-30 minutes before starting to eat, rather than just before as
I generally do for other meals - whether this is mostly because the
other meals tend to have more protein and/or fat together with the
carbs, or because they are later in the day, therefore less insulin
resistance due to the hormonal effects (i.e. adrenaline and/or cortisol
as very clearly explained by Tori - thanks).
This works for me most of the time, though I do then have to watch
carefully to make sure that assorted domestic crises do not intervene
and delay my breakfast and leave me hypo.

> From: "Audrey Sheal, SE Grampian" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IPk] Glycaemic Index - revisited
> Helen
> That may well be the cause - I will try drinking glasses of milk and
> see
> what happens.
> Audrey
> Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 10:17:08 EDT
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IPk] Glycaemic Index - revisited
> Audrey..
> Just curious here...plain cereal doesn't usually cause me to spike,
> but milk
> often does. Could it be the milk rather than the cereal that is
> causing the
> BG rise?

It's Samaritans' Week. Help Samaritans help others.
 Call 08709 000032 to give or donate online now at