From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On
Behalf Of Melissa Ford
Sent: 21 May 2003 10:07
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] Glycaemic Index - revisited

Another possible cause for spiking bgs in the morning: lingering dawn
phenomenon that produces insulin resistance (forgive me if someone else
already said that--I've lost track of my e-mail in the past several
days).
It could be that cereal plus milk would be fine for you at 3 p.m. but
it's
not fine in the morning. I have found that I can't have more than 30g
carbs
at breakfast unless I take a massive bolus and cross my fingers. When I
started losing weight last spring my appetite changed: I found I could
tolerate only a 150g to 200g pot of yogurt with my two cups of coffee in
the
morning, though I had been eating a bowl of healthy cereal with
semi-skimmed
milk nearly every day for a few years. A very light breakfast and an
early
lunch (usually between 11.30 a.m. and 12.30 p.m.) seem to help me ride
out
morning insulin resistance better than my old routine! Oh, the weird and

wacky world of diabetes....

Good luck,

Melissa
IDDM 10 years; MiniMed pumper 6+ years