[IPk] type 1 & stroke

As you all probably  know I have had type 1 for years. On my last
appointment at the clinic in april, my blood pressure was slightly elevated
and had been on previous visits so I was commenced on medication and advised
to forget about losing weight by dieting which has never worked for me but
to exercise.I was so shocked about the BP and my weightgain that I started a
sensible regime of diet and when my weightloss slowed right down I finally
plucked up courage to join the gym. They were excellent there and very
encouraging, I didn't care about my size as I felt good about the fact the
weight was finally begining to shift. Two weeks ago following a much harder
session, I felt really strange, bg's ok, but went to bed early, When I woke
in the morning I had lost the use of my left arm and leg.
We raced to the GP, where I just asked him to tell me  had not had a CVA
(Stroke) to which he replied that he could not tell me that but he felt my
diagnosis was what he thought. I was admitted to our local hospital which is
not the one I attend for DM as the GP was not keen for me to travel and they
do not have an A&E facility @ Barts. Following scans and blood tests it was
confirmed that I had indeed sustained a mild stroke and am now on warfarin
and awaiting further physiotherapy.
The most devastating thing for me is that the stroke was caused by DM, It
has had my eyes, my feet and now this. The use of my left side is beginning
to return thankfully and I have been told that I there is no reason why I
should not make a full recovery.
It is important to avoid high blood glucose levels which I am finding
difficult, as I find the more I worry the higher they go. My copy of
Practical Diabetes arrived today and there is a very interesting article
about Richard Bernsteins work so I  will have to get his book out again.
What surprises me also is the amount written about Type 1 and stroke and it
affecting young adults as I always felt stroke was a type 2 complication.
Anyway this is to you all to encourage you to keep your bgs low and be
grateful that you have the tools to control your Diabetes that were not
available when I was young
Carmel type 1 since aged 3