Re: [IPk] Glycaemic Index - revisited

I just wanted to add that beyond the dawn phenomenon, other things are at
play post-breakfast in most people. I am C&Ping from a post I made at my
site, which I'm sure you're all aware of...

  Adrenaline works quickly and is removed quickly, and hits its peak from
4am to 9am usually - hence the dawn effect. Cortisol, on the other hand,
also raises BG, and although it begins pouring into the bloodstream at
around the same time as the other hormones, it continues to operate for up
to 6 hours. So, even if it tails off and stop being really active at around
6am, it can still be having an adverse effect on BG till say 11am.... this
can also account for why you may need more insulin at breakfast for carbs
than at other times of the day. Add to that the fact that most of us have a
nice bulky breakfast to kickstart our day, and it's very common for mid
morning BGs to be higher than say mid-afternoon ones, even if you have a
nap and eat the same food.

Tori (I wish it was all just text book maths/science, as it's presented to be!)