[IPk] Exemption Certificates

I'm really surprised by all these messages.

I spoke to the PPA recently to get a replacement for my (lost) certificate.
They looked me up on the computer - it seems that many health authorities
passed along their exemption cert information to the PPA - found me, and the
replacement card should be here in a week or less. I suppose it's possible
that some health authorities *didn't* pass on this info, but I'd be yelling
at the authority about that, not the PPA. I'm amazed at the requirement for a
consultant signature: I think when I got my original cert I may have had to
get a GP's signature, but that was it.

The guy I spoke to a the PPA did say that he was surprised that diabetics had
to keep re-confirming that they're diabetic, although diabetes is not the
only chronic condition that is in this boat. I think there are currently no
conditions which are treated as permanent, so it's not like we're being
singled out. I asked him to complain about this to his management: maybe if
we all do this the situation can be changed for us and those with other
chronic, permanent conditions.

However, the thing that surprises me the most is that people are relying so
much on their certs/cards. I got my last one about 4 years ago. I took it
into the two pharmacies which I was planning to use (I'd only just moved to
this area) and showed it to the staff. In one pharmacy they just nodded and
said 'OK' - in the other. a Boots, they gave me a plastic card with my
details on it and, prsumably, the fact that I had an exemption. I've never
needed it since (hence why I misplaced it!). A month ago somebody in Boots
asked me for mine. I said 'er, I don't have it with me. I do have one, as I
have type 1 diabetes. is this a problem?' and she said 'no' and happily
filled my scrip. But this did prompt me to get my replacement sorted out just
in case that happened again.

So - do you guys all get asked for your cert/card every time you get
prescriptions filled? I'm fascinated!