[IPk] Re: Exemption certs...round and round the houses!

Just phoned a few numbers re the above. thought I'd let anyone who may find
themselves in the same situation know what to do!
Firstly, I phoned the number given on the local PCT's website. They only
dealt with emergency cases? They gave me a number in Preston. But that was
for prepaid certs only. They gave me a number in Newcastle...the one you
posted, Rhoda. I phoned them. Usual press button 1, 2 or 3, etc., which I
did, with no response, then was told thankyou for calling, goodbye! Argh!
Dialled again, pressed 1 for exemptions, got half a message as it started to
relay before I had finished pressing 1, but then had to press one again. Got
through...and was told that, even though my card had literally fallen to
pieces (it's cardboard held together with sticky tape and has finally dropped
into four bits) they could not renew it until 3 weeks before it was due as my
'condition may change by then'! Errr...not unless they find a miraculous cure
for diabetes between now and then it won't! But, no chance but she could send
out a replacement but I would still need to renew three weeks or so before it
was due to expire. Explained that I would be away and the main problem is
that they told me I needed the consultants signature and I don't see a local
consultant so would need to send it away to him and await it coming back,
which like last time would take a week or two. There's nothing they can do,
she said and I would have to pay for the scripts during the time without and
claim it back..again! Argh!
The thing is, with something like diabetes, why on earth can't they just
accept its permanent and automatically send out renewals without having to
get the consultant to say, yes, you definitely have it? Seems crazy to me!

Anyhow, the address to send a copy of the card up for renewals is:
Medex Issue Office
PO Box 463
Newcastle upon Tyne NE99 2DF
Together with a letter stating you want to apply for renewal.
They then send a form for renewal and a signature of the consultant, which
you then send back. They then send the new card.
They don't send out renewal notices, she said. It's up to the user to realise
they are due for renewal and send it off.
BW Helen...confused!