Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 09:45:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: jenny davey <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IPk] Glycaemic index - revisited

Hello all

After putting it off for ages, I have finally tried
eating porridge for breakfast. I have to put plenty of sweetener in to make
the stuff edible, but the change in blood sugars is incredible!

After eating Weetabix for years I changed to Special K
recently thinking that would be better. I was still
getting massive post-prandial peaks (up as high as 19
though returning to normal before lunch). I have come
to the conclusion that most breakfast cereals are so
refined that the effect would be the same. There is no
such peak with the porridge. Has anybody found a way
of eating other cereals without a massive peak?

Porridge it is then from now on (though maybe I'll
have muesli on special occasions ...;-))

Scottish Enterprise Network

Headquarters Address & Contact Numbers

150 Broomielaw
5 Atlantic Quay