Re: [IPk] IMPACT OF ASTHMA INHALER ON BG LEVELS

In a message dated 5/15/2003 12:47:26 AM GMT Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> "In common with other b-adrenoceptor agonists, salbutamol can induce
> reversible
> metabolic changes such as increased blood glucose levels. Diabetic patients
> may be
> unable to compensate for the increase in blood glucose and the development
> of
> ketoacidosis has been reported. Concurrent administration of
> corticosteroids can
> exaggerate this effect." From
> http://uk.gsk.com/products/assets/uk_ventolin_syrup.pdf

Sorry not to have caught up on this before (slowly trawling thru e-mails...).
Salbutamol does share some of the properties of adrenaline (now known as
epinephrine, though this grates to many UK medics!) as they are structurally
very closely related.  There is good evidence that salbutamol can increase bg
level.

However, most studies looking at bgs in relation to salbutamol have used
relatively high doses - oral or nebulised.  Absorption rates from inhalers is
low and leads to a lower dosage.

A person using maximum frequency inhaled doses together with oral steroids
(as opposed to inhaled steroids, which again result in low doses) would
probably find an effect on their control.  Those on regular treatment with
inhaled salbutamol / steroids would probably not find a significant
difference.

HTH,

Mary

PS I didn't keep study references, though I'll find them if you wish.  Most
of this is from my own medical background and clinical experience supported
by the Oxford Textbook of Clinical Pharmacology and Drug Therapy.