Re: [IPk] IMPACT OF ASTHMA INHALER ON BG LEVELS

"In common with other b-adrenoceptor agonists, salbutamol can induce reversible
metabolic changes such as increased blood glucose levels. Diabetic patients
may be
unable to compensate for the increase in blood glucose and the development of
ketoacidosis has been reported. Concurrent administration of
corticosteroids can
exaggerate this effect." From
http://uk.gsk.com/products/assets/uk_ventolin_syrup.pdf

" Diabetes: Care should be taken by people with diabetes. Salbutamol can
induce reversible high blood glucose during nebulized administration.
Monitor blood glucose carefully under such conditions. " From
http://www.mediresource.com/zellers/health/DrugInfo.asp?BrandNameID=1027

"Because these drugs are based on adrenaline, a substance produced in times
of stress, it opens up the airways and makes the heart beat faster." From
http://www.buteyko.co.nz/asthma/reliever/shortact.cfm

"The basic structure of norepiniphrine can be altered to produce a variety
of drugs which act on the nervous system to either slow down or speed up
certain bodily systems, or to make selected muscles contract or relax. This
is particularly true for drugs used to control the heart rate (e.g.
isoprenaline) or constriction of bronchi in the lungs (e.g. salbutamol)."
 From http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/mim/drugs/html/adrenaline_text.htm

HTH

Tori

http://www.hypostasis.info