Re: [IPk] HYPERS unresponsive after several days

email @ redacted writes:

> Any suggestions?
> Have started at a gym - Motorcise - that lets me gently get back into
> exercising despite coughing fits (asthma).  I've been going there for 2
> weeks.
Hi Rhoda,

Sorry to hear that things have been so awful.

A couple of things spring to mind, though I note that you've tried most
things possible!

Are you getting ketones? - if not, then maybe keep plugging away with the
insulin, see below. (If so, you know what to do...)

>From my own experience, and I am talking here about non-ketotic results, if I
get really high bgs (20s+) I find that I need to give enormous amounts of
insulin - 5-10+ x what I'd normally use - to get the bg down.  And it has to
be all at once, not in separate aliquots over time, or it doesn't work.  OK,
problem if you go hypo, but then you deal with that when it happens.  Also,
if I've a high bg and do any exercise at all (even a 5 minute stroll or
stretch session) my bg goes through the roof.

My advice would be to give by injection larger amounts than you thought you'd
need, and _rest_.  If you've tried that already or it doesn't work, then with
your chequered medical history I'd get a medical opinion..:-(

Hope things improve soon,

Mary xxx