Re: [IPk] Stress, gym, basal levels and night-time blood sugar levels

In a message dated 5/10/2003 9:08:07 PM GMT Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> Unfortunately you will see from the bottom of your
> e-mail that your attachment was removed by something outwith your control!
> Reply as you think best - either with another attachment or a summary

Hi Graham,

Aah...I do tend not to read my own e-mails when they come through (I did
write them, after all!) so didn't spot that.

I'll be repeating a few things now, especially after the e-mails from Melissa
and Pat. But I'll describe the method anyway.

Choose three days, if possible when you're not working and have nothing
planned (as Pat says, to minimise variation).  They don't have to be
consecutive or in any particular order.  Don't give correction boluses
(unless you're really high, of course, but that will annul the exercise).

Day 1: test at 02.00.  Fast from 06.00 until 12.00, testing bg at 06, 08, 10,

Day 2: fast from breakfast (before 10.00) to 18.00 testing bg at 10, 12, 14,
16, 18.00.

Day 3: fast from lunch (before 14.00) to 20.00, testing bg at 14, 16, 18,

On days 2 and 3 this also tests your post-prandial readings.  I tended to eat
the same thing each time to minimise variation.  I find that this schedule
has some "holes" as well as overlap (sorry RBH), and a) I find day 1 the best
day to stay up half the night and test the night bgs (in which case I won't
have eaten after midnight), b) day 3's fasting can start later, say 18.00,
and be extended to check your late evening/early night bgs - the disadvantage
with this is that you don't get to eat until very late - and c) as I
mentioned, I tend to test hourly myself.

If you can't do this in three days you can always adapt it - choose times to
test when you're at rest and also limit the food variable.  I would have a
meal with a known effect beforehand, and/or start the trial several hours
after the meal.  You can't do it without abstaining from food for several
hours, tricky I know for grazers!

Hope this is of some use,