Re: [IPk] Stress, gym, basal levels and night-time blood sugar levels

In a message dated 5/10/2003 3:46:21 PM GMT Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> best way to work out if I need different levels
> of basal insulin during the day? Is it simply a case of fasting and missing
> out
> a different meal over 3 as-normal-as-possible days?

Hi Graham,

I've attached a rather badly scanned in version of Royal Bournemouth
Hospital's sheet for calculating basal rates which I found useful myself.
It's best to do on a day off when you've nothing planned; although in "real
life" you will be exercising, attending meetings etc it's a good idea to have
the basic rates to start on.  (Then the fun begins!)

Hopefully you can see the "FASTING" and * graphics plus the time on the sheet
(if not or you can't access the scan, let me know and I'll summarise it).  I
found this very useful and I repeated it later testing hourly to fine-tune
for the pump (my own basals jump around a lot, two consecutive hours can be
very different).

You will know if your rates change by variations of your bg - if they are
stable then glargine is working for you.  But you need to remove other
factors (for example, a high fat high carb meal late at night will interfere
with testing night basals, and exercise and stressful meetings ditto for
daytime basals) before and during the tests.

Hope this helps,

IDDM 30+ yrs, 508 pump 2+ yrs

 [demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had
a name of Basal rates chart.pcx]