Re: [IPk] Re: How long for cannulas?

Hi Barbara

Of course that's your choice. I think the cost differential between the UK
and here is quite phenomenal. Bearing in mind that the cost of living is
quite similar (ie. a typical chocolate bar here costs $1.40, a loaf of
bread costs $2) when compared with average income - and by that I mean that
the exchange rate should be ignored - the cost of changing *just* my
infusion sets (Minimed Sofsets) every 3 days adds up to $3,800 per year.

 From what I can gather, that compares to approximately #660 in the UK.
Even taking the exchange rate into account, #660 is equal to $1600au.

Then add batteries, cartridges/reservoirs, test strips and insulin (we do
not have any free diabetic supplies in Australia), and it is a very
expensive beast to have. Part of the problem, I believe, is our relatively
low population and import tariffs etc. We do not manufacture the products
here for the most part, and so a variety of expenses come into play in
bringing them to such a "remote" area of the world. The end-user is the one
who meets these costs through the purchase of the products.

The other point, which I made in a follow up post, is that I have had no
problems with leaving sets in longer than recommended. I certainly am not
playing with or risking my health by doing so, and if I have an adverse
reaction somewhere down the track (but after 25 years, it's unlikely), then
I will stop doing it this way.