Re: [IPk] Scuba diving with the pump

In a message dated 5/8/2003 11:37:47 AM GMT Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> My only worry is that should something go wrong, Jane would suffer a sudden
> high blood sugar and panic - don't know if this is common or not, but it is
> something Jane suffers from. Bit of a catch 22 really.
Martin, thanks.  I don't know the duration of the average dive, but after
talking with a friend was envisaging about 30 minutes (I'm not into
shipwrecks etc which I imagine would take longer, more interested in natural
beauty).  I'd take the pump off for the dive and ensure that I had a bg of
around 10 - 13 mmol beforehand.  This would cope with the exercise etc so I
shouldn't go low or high, and even if something went wrong underwater the bgs
wouldn't rise for a couple of hours - I guess I'd be worrying about other
things by then.  If I get as far as training I'll be able to assess the
impact of exercise etc on bg in a safe environment first.

Does Jane use a pump?  If not and she has major and sudden bg fluctuations
then I doubt she'd be allowed to dive (but a pump might be a good idea from a
general point of view...).  I'd be interested to hear more.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice so far, I have found it really helpful.  I
am a complete novice as far as diving is concerned, am starting to find out a
few things, please excuse me if any of this is stupid (but please feel free
to put me right!).