From: email @ redacted
Date: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 18:20:52
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IPk] To Jos (glargine and Hypos)

Gail

Sasha's consultant has suggested either adding Novorapid at lunchtime (Sasha
can do her own shots now)
or moving on the basal bolus routine. He said that I could still give the
insulatard in the morning and
not at night, but I don't think it would work like that and Sasha would
definitely need some insulatard
overnight I would have thought. Otherwise If I give her enough Insulatard to
last she will hypo in the
morning before lunch, even with a big snack. Which is the problem that we
have
now. Though I suppose it
wont be so critical to aim for a lunchtime BG of below 7.5 mmols as she will
be
giving herself some
insulin with lunch. Oh its so confusing!!!

The consultant has only just begun 4 teenagers on Lantus and wants to get a
"feel" for how it works
before letting Sasha have some. So we will try basal bolus with Novorapid
and
Insulatard for two months
then we will try Lantus to see how we get on. Starting in the summer hols.

When do you take the Glargine? Morning or night??

Jackie,
Mum of Sasha aged 8 dx 1999, twin sister Rebecca, both coeliac 2001
Mum also to Danni and Nicola, wife to Terry

> HI JACKIE, I HAVE TO SAY THAT GLARGINE HAS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE TO MY
> NIGHT TIME BG.I HAVE BEEN ON IT SINCE CHANGING FROM INSULATARD LAST AUGUST

> WHEN I WAS ON INSULATARD I WAS FOREVER GETTING LOW AT 2AM, AND THEN MY
> SUGARS WERE HIGH IN THE MORNING,NOW ON GLARGINE (WHICH I TAKE AT AROUND
> 10PM) MY NIGHT LOWS HAVE GONE AND SO HAVE MY MORNING HIGHS, WITH GLARGINE
> YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO GET LOWS IN THE MORNING THAN DURING THE NIGHT,BUT
> WHEN U HAVE WORKED OUT THE CORRECT DOSE FOR SASHA THINGS SHOULD BE OK.
> I WOULD DEFINATELY TRY HER ON IT AS I REALLY THINK IT MAY HELP HER STOP
> GETTING THE NIGHT LOWS,OBVIOUSLY IF SASHAS DOING A LOT OF EXERCISE SHE
WILL
> NEED HER DOSE CUT ON THESE DAYS.
> HOPE THINGS WORK OUT WELL FOR SASHA, LOVE GAIL(TYPE 1 22 YEARS, SINCE 6
> YEARS OLD,MUM OF 3 )XXXXXXXX

BackGrnd.jpg]