[IPk] Fwd: Don't worry

I received this message and the writer said it was OK to forward it to
From: "Amanda" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Subject: Don't worry
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 22:14:53 +0100

Hi Barbara, I have just read your mail and felt I had to write to you. I
have Diabetes and have been using the pump for 1 week only. I was diagnosed
at the age of 4 and I am now 40 years old. My parents were very strict with
me and I was never allowed to sleep over at my friends or even play in their
This caused me many problems as no one wanted to be my friend as you can
I married at the age of 20 and gave birth to two children a boy and a girl.
My daughter Donna was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 7, and I vowed
that this was not going to cost her friendships and she was already sleeping
over at her friends houses, so i discussed with her whether it would be
better for her to inject herself and saying that it would be better for her,
as she can sleep over at friends if she can do her injections and blood
tests herself.
She said that she wanted to be responsible.
Barbara, Donna is now 18, and about to start univesity this sept. (my
worries really will start then). I would really encourage your daughter to
test for herself, and teach her how to bolus.
Kids adapt much better than adults and although you may still worry(any
mother or father would) you would have piece of mind that she could test for
herself, and contact you if there were any problems.
I hope you are feeling much better today, but please do not restrict her
from staying over again believe me it would be a big mistake.
Best wishes