Re: [IPk] RE: Today's Dilemma

Hi people-with-children (just catching up on this thread)

Could you tape-record the 'lecture to new teachers', and make a copy for
them.  They'll then
a) be able to play it again later and
b) you can produce it in court (not that you are going to need that!)

Could you tape a note to the meter which says 'below 4, give glucose
tabs'? Below 2, call ambulance'

On the 'I knew someone with it, and I know it all', ask 'were you
sleeping with them?'  Whether one sleeps (sexually) with a diabetic, or
shares bunk-beds as a child, one gets a fair idea of what hypos and life
is like,  otherwise, no ... friendship with a diabetic is no basis for
becoming in loco parentis.

Oh - if Danielle doesn't like the first lot of tabs you try, do try the
other flavours.  Personally, I tolerate orange and original, and despite
being an obsessive 'waste not' person, threw away the tropical ones
after one hypo .... (trying not to think about the poor hypo children in
Africa)...  Don't worry about kids 'eating them like sweets' - I'd
sooner eat raw lettuce than dextrose tablets!  I took some into a prison
recently and told the guard, because of the 'no food' rule.  He said
'they aren't food - they're inedible!' - how true!  One of the good
things about the frequent mini-hypos on the pump is that at least the
tabs never have a chance to go rock-hard!

The little zip-lock bags are used by archaeologists and museum folks to
store finds ... Ours come with white panels to write on, which might
come in useful?  Please let me know if you would like a couple!

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 2+, Surrey Museums Development Officer 4+, part-time
Research Student in Archaeology 3+)
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted

     "I have now got a pesitilent doctorate thesis to explore,
      when I would rather be doing something less useful ..."

                (JRR Tolkien Letter 176)