Re: [IPk] Re: Help or advice before I totalling crack up

On 5 May 2003 at 18:04, Tori wrote:

> You MUST allow these kids freedom to make stupid
> mistakes that could have been avoided, and ask them, don't
> tell them, if they understand why X happened, and what the
> consequences are. Teach them to be truly independent by
> being truly educated and comfortable about their diabetes.
> It's a tall order, I know... but I bet it will make both you
> and your baby more relaxed with letting go...

Hi Tori,

I completely agree with what you say about it being their
body and their choice. Any change in treatment has always
been their choice. I almost didn't suggest MDI to Emily
because I didn't think she would like more injections, but
as it turned out she prefers the idea of more, smaller
injections to fewer, larger injections. Even now, if she
needs an extra large bolus for something like a MacDonalds,
she will split the injection into two rather than inject
20+ units in one go. It works out quite well with
MacDonalds meals because she does the second one after she
eats and this seems to work better than a single injection
at the beginning. I think the fat and the ice cream and
milk in the shake must delay the effect on her BG.

Re. letting them make their own mistakes. To help me here I
try and remember that we have probably made the same
mistakes ourselves and they have survived that! It's good
to hear from adults who have been there, done that, and
seen it from the other side though so thanks for getting on
your soap box!

Mum to Emily aged 10, dx Oct '99
Novorapid x 3 or 4, Glargine x 1,
Robert aged 12 dx Mar '03
Novomix 30 x 2 (+ Novorapid when hungry!),
and Matthew aged 7.