Re: [IPk] Re: Help or advice before I totalling crack up

I used to hate it when my mother came on school camps with me .. or rather,
when my mother *insisted* on coming on school camps with me, at ages 8-11.
She came to make sure I was ok, of course (not that BG meters even existed,
and I was perfectly capable of injecting myself and working out what I
could and couldn't eat, since I'd been living it since I was 4 ...).

It made me feel very different from everyone else, who could rely solely on
the teachers. Then again, my Mum was very over-protective, and also not
very knowledgeable about the basic mechanics of diabetes beyond "Give her X
insulin and X portions", so I guess it was destined for disaster.

The best doctor I ever had - who I started seeing at age 11, taught me it's
my body and my responsibility, and I had/have the right to choose what is
done, how it's treated, what medical procedures can be carried out etc.
It's such a damn shame that his belief in me backfired so badly due to my
unwillingness to learn and to comply - but I certainly enjoyed the freedom
he offered! And I guess that's my point here ... as a mother myself, I
can't imagine not protecting my girls, who are now almost adults and
non-diabetic - but as parents of diabetic children you are in a double
bind, as I see it. You MUST allow these kids freedom to make stupid
mistakes that could have been avoided, and ask them, don't tell them, if
they understand why X happened, and what the consequences are. Teach them
to be truly independent by being truly educated and comfortable about their
diabetes. It's a tall order, I know... but I bet it will make both you and
your baby more relaxed with letting go...

Sorry for being on my soap box yet again ...