From: email @ redacted
Date: Monday, May 05, 2003 01:19:07
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IPk] Help or advice before I totally crack up

On 4 May 2003 at 21:54, Gail DAVIES wrote:

> as a child diabetic the docs always kept on about keeping
> sugars down and i dont remember them mentioning tring to
> stop hypos, i grew up as a child constantantly being told by
> docs to keep sugars down or i would have kidney failure,
> amputations and blindness.my mum is a real worrier and
> constantly worried about me but she didnt stop me going on
> school trips just so she wouldnt have to worry about me, im
> so grateful to her for giving me that indepence, my cousin
> who was also diagnosed with type 1 as a child was never
> allowed to go anywhere and his mum did everything for him
> and as a result he found it very hard looking after himself
> as he got older.

Hi Gail,

Emily is gradually taking over more of her care at her own
pace. I don't like the way the clinic staff try to force
the issue. I can't help thinking that she is likely to be
giving herself injections for a long time, possibly the
rest of her life, so why the rush now? She does all of her
injections now and some of her blood tests but a lot of the
time she's too busy and wants me to sort the meter out for
her. I'm not worried because she was like this with
injections but that gradually changed. I know she will take
over completely eventually but don't see any need to rush.

Robert is a little older and has done every single
injection since he was diagnosed just over a month ago but
he still gets me to sort out the meter while he washes his
hand :-) He's doing it all this week because he's staying
with friends in Wales. I think he felt he had something to
prove because he always said that if he became diabetic he
would prefer to do his own injections.

Maybe the difference is that we are warned to be careful
about hypos as well as high BG's these days. Although I
know 'dead-in-bed', brain damage and coma are very rare I
can't help worrying about it, particularly since Emily has
stopped waking with low BG's at night and we are still
discover unexpected lows when we test at night. I know
Emily wouldn't wake with an alarm clock to test herself and
it seems a lot to ask of other parents. When Emily was in
hospital over night recently the nurse had 4 attempts at a
blood test before it worked! We couldn't even reduce her
insulin really as the only active insulin at that time is
the Glargine and it would have to be reduced for days
before. I think we will have to rely on feeding her up well
before bedtime if she really wants to sleep over sometime

Would a pump help avoid these night time hypos? I am
beginning to suspect the main cause is exercise during the
day and I assume we would be able to reduce the basal rate
overnight if she has had more exercise during the day
(unlike the Glargine).

Mum to Emily aged 10, dx Oct '99
Novorapid x 3 or 4, Glargine x 1,
Robert aged 12 dx Mar '03
Novomix 30 x 2 (+ Novorapid when hungry!),
and Matthew aged 7.

 [demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type Image/jpeg which had a name of