From: email @ redacted
Date: Sunday, May 04, 2003 18:49:25
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IPk] Help or advice before I totally crack up

Hi Jos and Bev

I do go along with Jos and think there is so much more these days that we
know about treating
diabetes. My best friend at school started off on one injection a day,and
whole time I was at school
with her (and when I was at her house which was quite often, I never once
her go or have a hypo. I
think Drs then were more interested in stopping hypos that preventing high
blood sugars. I have a very
old book for parents of children with diabetes that was withdrawn from the
library some years ago. I
bought it at a library sale out of curiosity. It makes very odd reading
compared to the things we or our
children are expected to do these days. The best thing was, from my point of
view was that people were
taught to calculate portions then instead of the vague "eat a healthy diet"
with no guidance at all how
to match carbs and insulin.

Sasha hasn't been allowed to go on a sleepover as like Jos's daughter she
never had any hypo
awareness at night and has had about 6 or 7 seizures during the first two
of D. We have to get up
every night and test about 2.30am. When she is older and maybe has a cell
I can ring her and get
her to check or make sure that she has less insulin. Although Beckie has
asked to a couple of sleep
overs no one has asked Sasha. She has only recently begun to do her own

I think I would be worried just as much if a child was using a pump, as Jos
said, the site could fail, or
Danielle might misjudge the amount to bolus, or bolus too much, or two close
another bolus so its all
very scary.

The only thing is that in a few years time the children will be more able
confident to take the D
care with fewer mistakes. (one hopes)!!

I do try to let Sasha do most things that the other children do. There arent
many things I say no to.
Sleepovers are one of them at the moment and she has not really made a fuss
about it. You couldnt expect
someone elses parents to get up and test in the middle of the night.

We also have the coeliac problem to deal with too. So the twins have to take
their own food
everywhere!!! Its all so much hassle sometimes!!!

Jackie,Mum of Sasha aged 8 dx 1999, twin sister Rebecca, both coeliac 2001
Mum also to Danni and Nicola, wife to Terry