Re: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #394

In a message dated 5/4/2003 4:07:49 PM GMT Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> They have
> been OK in the past but this time I don't know why they acted in this way

Hi Barbara,

Do you think it might be their perception of the pump? especially to the
"educated"! And after all, the impression has been given so often that pump
use will "return everything to normal". {No, it doesn't - not for me, anyway,
a cup of tea with sugar and other "treats" are out of the question unless I
plan several hours in advance - takes the spontaneity out of things - or if
hypo...at work I've had the query "but you're on a pump now, why not have
this (sweetmeat, sugary cake etc)?"}  The pump is great and control of a
"blowout" is far easier, but you (and those looking after you) still have to
be aware that you're diabetic.

I had to do everything myself (except boil up needles and syringes :-)) after
my diagnosis was made.  That included preparing my meals, and I do remember
that book, I still have a copy!  I was significantly older than Danielle, but
I'm pretty sure that I could have handled everything from the age of about 8
or 9, so I'd very much agree that Danielle should be taught and given the
opportunity to do as much as she can herself.

IDDM since age 11 (30+ yrs), diagnosed age 13, 508 2+