RE: [IPk] Help or advice before I totally crack up

Hi Jos

Absolutely I didn't mean to imply that we shouldn't worry
about our children but that sometimes the more you know the
more you worry!!  I was 11 when I was diagnosed and could
therefore manage (or mismanage) it myself from the start.  My
parents never really got involved.  You are right the risks
of DKA with a pump are greater than with MDI and care does
need to be taken.  I guess I just wanted to point out that
all children need to go on trips and stay over with friends
and that a few days bad control (so long as its not dangerous
and I do take your point here with DKA) should be accepted as
part of growing up and developing.

 - All this from the mother who still holds her son's hand to
cross the road at nearly 8 (much to his embarrassment).  I
really should practice what I preach!!

Beverley Smith
Consultant Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader