RE: [IPk] Help or advice before I totally crack up

On 4 May 2003 at 9:31, Smith, Beverley wrote:

> I would not want them to take the
> risks I took (never testing my blood, always eating sweets
> etc) but perhaps I am a much stronger, independent person
> for having worked all that out for myslef?

Hi Beverley,

Do you think that todays ideas of tight control and the
resulting higher chances of hypos change things though? The
pump also gives less time and more potential for DKA if
handled incorrectly. The high BG's experienced by Barbara's
daughter *could* have been a sign that her site had failed
and presumably DKA would be well advanced if she had gone
to bed in that situation?

I do try and let my children do as much as they would have
done if they didn't have diabetes. My 12 year old son is
currently staying with friends on the other side of the
country. However, it wasn't such a difficult choice with
him as he is still in the honeymoon phase and on very small
doses (10 units am, 4 units pm). I think I would need to
think much harder about Emily going as her diabetes seems
much more volatile. I would probably aim for her BG's to
run a little high for the week but even then she would
probably have hypos. She does her own blood tests and
injections, knows how to treat hypos and is beginning to
take an interest in the carb counting side. But, there
seems to be so much to take into consideration when working
out the dose, carb value of meal, type of food (she needs
her injection after her meal if it's pasta), exercise, how
much to deduct if it's close to the last injection and add
to correct high BG's. It's a lot for a 10 year old to cope
with. I would have to work it out over the phone if she
went any time soon.

Hypos are not such a problem during the day as she can deal
with them herself but she doesn't wake with night time
hypos. She had convulsions at night a while ago after going
to bed with a BG of 11 and a snack containing 50g's carb.
Luckily I was working late in the same room. I dread to
think what would have happened if I had not been there. She
threw up for 3 hours afterwards but didn't really wake up
properly. I suspect that she would have had convulsions and
vomiting without being able to come for help. I suppose it
depends on how far away the child is from others and how
soundly they sleep.

We do a blood test about 2 hours after supper now and
sometimes need to wake her for food. I haven't been able to
spot a pattern for those nights yet.

Mum to Emily aged 10, dx Oct '99
Novorapid x 3 or 4, Glargine x 1,
Robert aged 12 dx Mar '03
Novomix 30 x 2 (+ Novorapid when hungry!),
and Matthew aged 7.