RE: [IPk] Pregnancy questions for pumpers

Hiya Audrey,

*	Where did you put your pump overnight as you got bigger?  I
use one of those waist band things for overnight (and exercise) but the
velcro is fast approaching the end at present!  Any suggestions welcome.

Providing the pump is securely attached (with an s under the tegaderm),
I didn't need to "put" the pump anywhere - I'd just lie it in front of
me, (and then wake up when it became lodged under my kidneys...).  In
the later stages, I wore a night bra and tucked it in the front.

*	Did you wear your pump in labour, or let the hospital use an
infusion?  I am not sure if I should push to stay on the pump or it will
just be too much to cope with in labour if my BG goes higher.

I had an elective c/s with Molly and wore my pump throughout.  You need
to have an idea of how your insulin needs will change throughout the
birth and then you can adjust your dosage accordingly.  I reduced my
basal rate to pre-pregnancy levels before I went into theatre, and then
used a percentage increase until I knew how much I'd need.  You will
need to be fairly flexible as your body changes so dramatically in such
a short time...
*	Did your consultant let you go full term or did they stick to

I had Molly at LGI where the consultant, Gerald Mason, is superb.  I
went to 38:2 with Molly.

*	Did your baby automatically go to the neo natal unit?  My
has informed me that this is their policy - I agree entirely if there is
problem but not just because I am diabetic and it is there policy -
should I
argue my case?  Or am I a naove first time mother?

NO.  Kayleigh and Simon went into SCBU immediately after they were born,
and had to be treated there because my balance was so erratic while I
was pregnant.  Molly stayed with me on a transitional ward in LGI where
the midwives are trained to look after babies that may need slightly
more care (blood sugars etc).  It is in between a normal postnatal ward
and special care, and was full of women with diabetes and their babies.

I noticed in someone else's reply that Harrogate was mentioned - all
pregnant women with diabetes in Harrogate are offered an insulin pump
during their pregnancy, so there is more experience of deliveries.  When
I had Molly, no-one in Leeds had seen an insulin pump before, but they
let me keep it rather than put me on an insulin drip.  I discussed with
Sandra and Peter Hammond what I should expect during the delivery and we
worked out how to adjust my insulin before I went in.  It's the same as
everything else - you know your diabetes better than any doctor, and if
you can demonstrate that you can deal with it, they will usually let you
get on with it!  You might find that you have other things on your mind

Please email me off list for my phone number if you want a chat

Get plenty of rest!

Kate Clapham

IDDM 25 years, Insulin pump since 6 weeks pregnant with Molly, who is
now 3 and (thankfully) asleep!!