[IPk] Re (IPk) Pregnancy questions for pumpers

Hello Audrey, and congratulations!
- I think Harrogate have had experience of pumps used during delivery - you
could try contacting the hospital there (I think a DSN Sandra Dudley is the
contact - if not, apologies!)
- I have 3 kids - Tim (4 + 1/2 yrs), Glyn (3 yrs) and Jenny (14 months). I
started pumping 2 months before becoming pregnant with Jenny (before that I
was on MDI with good HbA1c's and no severe hypos but v. erratic sugars).
- I also had trouble with the waist thing at night. What worked for me was to
put the pump in the neoprene case that has a belt loop, thread a pair of
tights through and tie them loosely round my middle as a belt. Not v.
glamourous I know, but the pump was secure for all those night-time loo trips
and wasn't digging into me every time I turned over.
- I had Tim and Glyn at Maidstone hospital and received good care. They both
went with me to the postnatal ward. When I was about 25 weeks preg with Jenny
I found out that the hospital had adopted the same policy as yours.
(Apparently there had been an incident when a baby went hypo on postnatal ward
and they were too short staffed to test. Postnatal wards seems to be
chronically shortstaffed in the S.E.) Like you I agreed that it was
appropriate if there was a problem. However, no such problems were anticipated
- Tim and Glyn had had no hypoglycaemia and all my HbAics in Jenny's preg had
been 5ish. I wanted to breastfeed her properly from the start (not just
express), and if I'd had any complications or a caesarian I wouldn't have been
allowed into special care ward for the first 24 hours. I tried speaking with
consultants about this and wasn't given any guarantees, just told not to worry
about it (ie not make a fuss). Though the diabetes team had been excellent for
MDI, I wasn't confident with their pumping backup either (they seemed to be
learning on the job) so I saw my GP and changed hospitals at 30 weeks
pregnant. I was v lucky - Pembury hosp has an excellent consultant with
experience in pumping. They didn't have the special care policy. I had a
meeting with the paediatric consultant there to reassure me (previous
experience of paediatric house officers on postnatal wards not being good).
- I had BP problems with my 1st 2 pregs and Maidstone hospital policy was 38
week delivery. At Pembury I went to 39 weeks (could have gone to term but lost
my nerve - apparently is a risk of stillbirth if diabetics go over term and
Jenny was moving less, though this is normal for 39 weeks).
- The plan was that I be induced (by rupturing membranes), then go on syntocin
drip if nothing happened. I wanted to keep my pump on and they said ok until I
reached established labour. When I had to go on the syntocin drip I said they
might as well put me on iv insulin then also because I was effectively
anchored (don't believe them when they say you can be mobile on a syntocin
drip - I've had it twice and got stuck on on continuous tachygram monitoring
each time!)
- If I do this again I would want to try being mobile (ie not dripped and
keeping pump on) for labour, but have a dilemma as I would probably need
induction by syntocin.
- I would argue your case - you probably know more about the pumping and
diabetes side than most of the staff (no offence to them). It is best to talk
things through with them well before delivery, one can feel a bit irrational
and vunerable during the event! Having as much info as possible and known
contingency plans is empowering and makes things less stressful. Best of luck!
Feel free to email me off list if I can help.
- Sorry this is such a long email!