RE: [IPk] RE: Today's Dilemma

Hi all

Here are my memories of being a diabetic child at school.  I'm not aware of my
mum going in to explain anything, although I guess she might.  I think perhaps
an air of "mystery" about diabetes helped - I told each new teacher that I was
diabetic, and then if I felt low, they would leave me to do whatever I needed
to.  I would soon recover and no-one else in the class knew that anything had
happened.  There was one teacher, an elderly gentleman with Type 2, who used
to whisk me up to the teacher's sitting room for a cup of tea (really bad
idea) but the rest of them just let me get on with it.  I always had glucose
tablets in my bag, and my closest friends knew what to do, too.

There was one teacher, though, who was lacking in any
understanding/compassion.  In hindsight, I reckon I must have had a lot of
high bgs at the time (this was before home blood testing, and, I think, still
during the clinitest era).  At that time, I often had an urgent need to go to
the loo, and if it was soon after a breaktime, she would say no.  When I
suffered the repeated humiliation of wetting myself (aged 7), she would make
me stand in the corner in shame.

I know my mum did speak to the school about lunchtime hypos.  Together they
came up with the solution that I would go straight to the front of the dinner
queue every day.  This solved the hypo problem, but made me an outcast who was
rejected as different by the rest of the kids.  These same kids had been
bullying me at morning break time, taking my "morning lines" away from me and
passing it round... hence the lunchtime hypos.  I still kick myself for not
being stronger.

I'd better stop now - these tales aren't going anywhere in particular!  I hope
it will highlight some other potential problems...

Best wishes

IDDM 34 years, D-Tron 7 months, needs counselling 28+ years!!