Re: [IPk] Pregnancy questions for pumpers

Hi Audrey

I've had two pregnancies while pumping - but they were a long time ago and
a very different kind of pump from what's available now (15 and 17years ago
now, I have two teenage daughters). Also, throughout both of my pregnancies
(and actually until only about 7years ago), I refused to do any BG tests or
monitoring bar the bare minimum demanded by doctors (HbA1cs etc) about
every month, so my memory is pretty bad on what actually happened - I
really wasn't interested. Suffice to say that both of my babies were born
CS, one 8 weeks early, the second 9 weeks early, both ended up in ICU for a
month before coming home, but both were completely normal and healthy - and
still are (amazingly).

I had very severe morning sickness with the first, and really couldn't eat
at all. I was put in hospital at 28weeks term, at which time I had lost
about 6kg (13lbs), and force fed for a month (well it felt like force
feeding!). I also had pre-eclampsia with her - the forerunner to toxaemia -
but the diabetes stayed relatively stable from what I recall. The second
pregnancy went well, but the diabetes went haywire, hence her early
delivery (BP was enormously high and BG very unstable).

As far as your questions go, I am not sure I will be much help beyond the
first one.... While pregnant, I wore my pump in a pouch on my thigh. It was
an enormous pump back then, about 3x bigger than current models, and had
it's own pouch which could be strapped around the waist or neck to dangle
on the thigh. There was an optional strap to go around the thigh to secure
it in place. This was standard pouching for me, pregnant or not, and I just
wore the strap above my "bump". These days, i would probably wear the pump
the way I commonly do when I am wearing loose trousers, long skirts and
dresses, which is in a tubular bandage just below my knee. I double the
bandage over, and slip the pump inside the fold. I also use my "tube" for
sleeping, as I don't like the pump rolling around free in the bed, and the
pump can be worn at any angle in the tube - ie. behind the leg, to the
side, wherever it's comfortable. If you can get a hold of a large tubular
bandage, this method can also be used on the thigh, and you can slip the
pump in between your legs above your knee - for short dresses, skirts etc.

There is a useful booklet put out by Diabetes Australia - Victoria (one of
our states), in conjunction with the site below and the Australian Diabetes
in Pregnancy Assocn, about diabetes and pregnancy which also covers pumps,
labour etc. It was only written late last year and revised in January this
year, so it's pretty up to date! You can download it at
http://www.realitycheck.org.au/babies.htm and I would be happy to give you
the DAV contact I have if you'd like to get in contact with her. The
booklet is very comprehensive, and may help you to decide whether or not to
fight for a "normal" delivery and to have your baby with you immediately,
as it covers those aspects, as well as planning a pregnancy, living through
it, breastfeeding etc etc.

Anyway, feel free to email me if you feel I can be of any help, and I hope
at least some of that is useful!

(DM 34yrs, pumping 25yrs, Mum almost 17yrs!)