[IPk] re (IPk) My first enquiry - funding

Karen -
Consultant opinion seems to affect funding. I bought my pump and started
paying for consumables. When pregnant, this became steep (approx #25 / week
due to frequent set changes) so I applied to the Health Authority for funding.
I sent them a detailed letter covering economics and health benefits. My
consultant refused to support this as he said there were no clinical grounds
(I was well controlled pre-pump) though the DSN said she would. I heard
nothing and, after 6 weeks+, changed hospitals (for other reasons). My new
consultant said there were clinical grounds, read a copy of my funding letter,
sent it off with a supporting letter and I was funded for total running costs
2 weeks later! The Health Authority (West Kent) said they couldn't fund the
cost of my pump because it was bought privately but would fund any future
replacement pumps for me under that consultant's care. They said that I should
have initially been referred to Dr Pickup at Guy's where they had "a service
level agreement for insulin pump therapy under the NHS" - so I guess I could
have saved myself #2K if I'd done my homework to start with. However, it's
money well spent. Without funding I would have still carried on pumping
despite financial sacrifices (no holidays, no TV and feeding a family of 5 on