Re: [IPk] Lack of doctors and insulin antibodies

Have you complained to your GP about the care at this hospital - point
out that you have worsening diabetes control, and your need to speak to
an expert who can confirm the diagnosis of antibodies, if that's needed,
or simply change the insulins if it isn't.

I wouldn't bother with continuing at your current hospital: you need an
expert, not a generalist.  I suggest you ask for Manchester (there have
been good reports here of Manchester's pump clinic).

If you GP says he 'can't do anything', ask for a second opinion (it is
your right as a patient to be informed as to how to get that second
opinion, and to be given it, so don't take any 'we don't want to do that
yet' nonsense!

The second opinion is on your _treatment_ for diabetes, of course, not
on your diabetes!  The recommended treatment for someone in your
condition might well be a 4-monthly appointment, a change of insulin,
etc. etc.

Your GP may be on your side, and admit that neither he nor the hospital
can cope, and support you into moving to a new clinic.

The downside to this, of course, is you may make an enemy of the only
doctor in your valley, and you may have to make time and financial
sacrifices in order to reach a clinic.  I'm willing to bet that
a) the better quality of life you will enjoy with balanced diabetes
b) the extra years you will enjoy with balanced diabetes
c) your value to your family and community
far outweigh any time or money involved.

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 1+, twenty years ago there was an excellent Dr. Brown at
Lancaster Royal Infirmary - wonder if he's still there?
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)