Re: [IPk] I've started the ball rolling!

Hello Jackie

Well, first of all I rang Danielle's diabetes nurse to ask her if anyone at
the hospital were on a pump and she told me they weren't.  I said "Well I
really want to try one for Danielle and it might mean changing hospitals".
She said that we could move hospitals with her blessing and she would help as
much as she could with the moving.  I couldn't just leave it there so I
explained to her what I knew about the pump and how everyone should have one,
etc.  She said that they have never learnt about them because no patient has
ever asked for one before.  She asked me to bear with her a few days while
she spoke to the consultant.  She rang me back about 3 days later and said
that the consultant was very happy to still see Danielle at his clinic but
that he would not be involved with the pump.  For instance, he said that he
would check her growth and HBA1c but we would have to accept that he couldn't
help with queries with the pump but he was happy that there is back-up from
the pump suppliers.

As I said, I phoned Minimed today and asked them what I should do.  I was
told that I needed the consultant's approval first so I explained that I had
got this but they do not know anything about the pump.  They took all my
details and said that our local pump nurse would get in touch with us and
visit.  Unfortunately she is on holiday for 2 weeks but I told them how
desperate I was and they said they might get a paediatrician to speak to me
meanwhile.  I asked how long it would be before Danielle would actually be on
the pump and she explained that all cases were different but if I was
prepared to fund it, it could be 2 weeks after it is ordered.

Minimed sent me an information pack which I received this morning.  They
included a video and I couldn't wait to watch it.  I was determined to get
the pump after I watched it and Danielle watched it with me.  The only thing
that concerns her is if it will hurt.

I can't wait.