[IPk] Re: differences between pumps

>I would love people to let me know briefly their experiences and which

pump
>they are on.

>The only two differences that I know are: the disetronic takes
prefilled
>cartridges, the minimed doesn't.
>And the way they offer you different basal rates differs:
>with the minimed, you get three, completely different if you want
them.
>with the diestronic, you only get one, but you vary it up or down by
>percentage.

I believe there is also a difference in the way the basal rate is
delivered.  Disetronic divides the hourly basal rate to give you a
small pulse every 3 (or is it 5??? someone correct me please) minutes,
whereas Minimed delivers the hourly basal rate in fewer more distantly
spaced pulses - I think there is some minimum amount (0.1 unit??) in
each pulse - again maybe someone could fill in the exact details.

While other factors (particularly local support) determined my choice
of a Disetronic at the time, it seems to me that for people who have a
low basal rate (0.4 units an hour or less) much of the time, there may
be an advantage in the smaller more frequent pulses of Disetronic - it
also means that if you disconnect briefly e.g. to take a shower, then
you don't have to pay much attention since you are unlikely to miss
more than a very small portion of that hours' basal rate.
Nanette