From: email @ redacted
Date: Monday, May 27, 2002 09:31:59
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] Hypos

Dear All,

I have found that most people in this country find it easy to relate
diabetic symptoms to symptoms relating to alchol (ab)use.

So I say 'if every I start acting drunk, and we haven't been drinking, I'm
not drunk - I need a glucose tablet!', and explained the horrors of waking
up at around 2, or around 20 each morning as 'either I wake up feeling as if
I were drunk, or as if I were very hung over'.

Most of the symptoms of hypoglycaemia which are visible to people around us
(confusion, slurred speech, unusually angry or submissive behaviour, etc.)
are recognised by them as being very similar to what they've observed with
drunk people.

However, they know that whereas a headache comes as just punishment for a
night on the tiles, and that only people who drink at lunch time expect to
be drunk in the afternoon, the diabetic gets these symptoms completely
unexpectedly. And without even the pleasure of a decent bottle of wine to
cause them.

Perhaps, Donald, this would help your colleagues to understand? Most people
accept that drunks say things which they don't mean, or which are not said
in polite company. There is, of course, a belief 'in vino veritas' - the
truth lies at the bottom of a bottle - that while drunk people say what they
really believe. But even if you have said things which are against your
company's equality policy, you should remember that the policy is not about
what you think, but about what you do. And while 'sober', you do follow the
policy, don't you?

Best wishes,

Pat